How do I integrate my custom iptables script with Red Hat Enterprise Linux?
A custom iptables script is sometimes necessary to work around the limitations of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux firewall configuration tool. The procedure is as follows:
1. Make sure that the default iptables initialization script is not running:
service iptables stop
2. Execute the custom iptables script:
sh [custom iptables script]
3. Save the newly created iptables rules:
service iptables save
4. Restart the iptables service:
service iptables restart
5. Verify that the custom iptables ruleset have taken effect:
service iptables status
6. Enable automatic start up of the iptables service on boot up:
chkconfig iptables on
The custom iptables script should now be integrated into the operating system.